Friday, August 3, 2018

Trader Joe's Mini Dark Chocolate Mint Coins



These are, in essence, Trader Joe's version of Girl Scouts Thin Mints--and they want you to know that, without quite saying it. Notice the camping theme of the artwork on the box. Notice the hibiscus symbol bringing to mind the Girl Scouts logo of the faces in profile. Notice the reference to "merit badge" in the wording around that.

So, do they measure up? Close.

First, they're tiny, probably only half the diameter of GSTMs. Second, there's a bit of an off note in the background, kind of like unbaked flour. I don't know what's up with that.

But other than that, they're a pretty good imitation--certainly good enough to carry an addict through the 11 long, dark months when the little girls in green aren't peddling their crack cocaine cookies.


Will I buy it again? 

Yes. They're not quite as good as the originals, but (1) they're a lot cheaper, (2) you don't have to deal with pushy parents and order sheets, and (3) no waiting.

1 comment:

  1. Ughh!! I did NOT need to know that they’re good! I try to limit myself to one “treat” per TJs shopping trip and managed to white knuckle my way past these tempting cookies so far.
    But i kinda LOVE thin mints- especially frozen!- and these sound like a worthy treat for my next trip.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete