Monday, March 11, 2019

Trader Joe's Blushing Apple Tart





I had never heard of "blushing apples" before encountering this new Trader Joe's dessert.

Nina prepared this. Unlike most TJ's frozen products, the recommended bake time on this one proved to be a little long, as you can see from the slightly overdone edge. (That second photo is half of what's in the box, by the way. It's supposed to make three servings, but Nina and I just split it between us, and had no difficulty putting it away.)

I thought the almond paste might be a deterrent, as I don't love almonds. But it turned out to be just a pleasant background sweetness, with little actual almond flavor. Somehow, the combination of the paste and the apples combined to remind me of maraschino cherries. I asked Nina if I was crazy for thinking that, and she instantly answered, "Yes." So it may not be a universal impression.

The crust was somewhat dry. It's not clear whether that's an intrinsic property, or due to the slight overbaking. Tasty, though.

The apples are excellent.

The thing looks like a pepperoni pizza. Even after you realize that, yes, the flesh of these apples is pink and those aren't slices of meat, it looks like an apple pizza. OK, a square apple pizza.


Will I buy it again? 

Close call. I don't think I loved it enough to bring home again for myself. But if it showed up again at Nina's, I'd happily eat my half again. And it would make a nice contribution to a potluck dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Couple of notes: every other review I saw said to bake it longer than the recommended time - as usual for most of their stuff. I cooked it exactly the time it said and it came out basically burnt like yours.

    As for the almond/cherry thing it makes complete sense. Almonds are in the same family as cherries along with plums, peaches, apricots etc. That's why most stone fruit pits look like small almonds. I recall a few years ago at X-Mas TJ's carried some cookies made from ground up peach pits that tasted like almond.

    ReplyDelete