Friday, April 19, 2019

Chosen Foods 100% Pure Avocado Oil


Nina started using this as her regular cooking oil, so I decided to try it, too. It's not Trader Joe's branded, but they sell it.

Its chief advantage is an unusually high smoke point (as they boast right there on the front of the label). If it adds any flavor at all to the foods cooked in it, I am unable to discern it.

My only quibble is with the bottle. It's so tall that it won't fit in any of my kitchen's upper cupboards. I have to choose between sticking it below, in one of the lower pots-and-pans cupboards, or laying it down flat in the ones above, where such things are usually kept. With the latter choice, it takes up a lot of space and I worry that it might leak.


Will I buy it again? 

Yes. Even with the annoyance of the bottle height, I think it's an excellent cooking oil. It's quite a bit more expensive than the TJ's grapeseed oil that has been my staple for four years now, but I don't use much, so the extra cost amortized over time will have no discernible effect on my total food budget.

Consumer Reports provides this handy guide to selecting a cooking oil.

1 comment:

  1. It serves the same end use as grapeseed oil- both are great neutral flavor oils for cooking or salad dressing (i use a neutral oil when making sesame soy flavor dressings). You could always just transfer it to a smaller dark colored bottle that fits better in your cupboard, that does sound obnoxious
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete