Monday, April 22, 2019

Trader Joe's Benne Wafer Cookies


Until yesterday, I had never heard of benne wafers. I did not know that benne was word of uncertain African derivation for sesame. I did not know that lowcountry (with or without capitalization; also low country) was a term for the coastal region of South Carolina. I thought it was referring to the Netherlands, and was confused as to why these were made in Savannah, Georgia. I'm still confused about why Trader Joe's didn't find a supplier in S.C., if they're going to brag about authenticity of origin. (EDIT: National Geographic says that Savannah is part of Low Country. Though others disagree, Ima go with NatGeo on this and credit TJ's with getting it right.)

So now that I've smartened up a bit about these things, how are the cookies? Great, if you ask Nina; not so great if you ask me. We both liked the crunchy texture. She liked the saltiness and the prominent sesame flavor, while I thought both were pretty subdued and the brown sugar was the dominant note, which is OK but not especially interesting. Oddly, I thought they tasted buttery, though the list of ingredients reveals that there is none present.


Will I buy it again? 

No.

No comments:

Post a Comment