Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Trader Joe's Blenheim Variety Extra Choice/Choice Apricots



When I was about 13, my Boy Scout troop leader told us of the hiker's diet: "For breakfast, you eat dried apricots. For lunch, you drink water. For dinner, you swell."

I've been eating dried apricots--and thinking of that silly joke--for 40 years now. I still love them. (The apricots, not the joke.) I have a fussy idea of what their taste and texture are supposed to be. I can't describe them, but I know when they're there.

I'm very pleased to say that these TJ's dried apricots (the word "dried" doesn't appear in the name of the product, for some reason) are exactly what I seek. Maybe it has to do with using the Blenheim variety of apricots, which are apparently becoming scarce in California. Maybe it's something in the drying method. I don't know. All I know is that they are just right. I want to eat a million of them in one sitting.

But then I would swell something fierce.


Will I buy it again? 

As long as they don't do anything to upset the perfect formula they have.


Addendum 

Since writing the above, I've had three more bags of them. They've all been just as good as the first. These are exactly what have long had fixed in my mind as the Platonic ideal of dried apricots. I can't imagine ever buying any competitors. I've decided that even though this isn't the kind of wild, wacky, can't-get-it-anywhere-else product that Trader Joe's is famous for, it's good enough to merit inclusion in my Top Ten list.

No comments:

Post a Comment