Thursday, November 27, 2014

Trader Joe's Organic Pea Shoots



Continuing the story that I started with the last post, about the wild arugula: I was at TJ's and had the bag of arugula in hand. I was thinking that it probably needed something else in the bowl with it.

In recent months I have enjoyed experimenting with topping salads with various kinds of sprouts--bean sprouts, broccoli sprouts, radish sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, and clover sprouts. They have ranged from the delicious (broccoli sprouts) to the nasty (alfalfa sprouts).

Looking over the produce refrigerator at Trader Joe's, I noticed the above package of pea shoots. That's one I hadn't tried. You know--sprouts, shoots, whatever. On the spot, I invented the idea of arugula topped with pea shoots. (That's Chef Bob for you, always inventing.) Obviously healthful, but how would it taste? I had noticed the package's promise of a "sweet taste," which seemed like it would be a good counterpart to the arugula.

It wasn't. I tried eating a few of the pea shoots separately, and detected no sweetness. The combination of the two ingredients wasn't any better than each by itself.

Again, I'm handicapped as a reviewer by a complete lack of previous experience with pea shoots. Maybe they're all like this. Maybe this was a singularly bad batch. I just can't tell. But I wasn't impressed.

Will I buy it again? 

No. Gimme the broccoli sprouts instead.


Nina's View

I like pea shoots. My best experience with them has been sauteed like spinach, with a little garlic. Yum. These pea shoots were definitely not as sweet as others I've had in the past, which made them much more a candidate for cooking than for salading. But there's no way Bob could have known that.


No comments:

Post a Comment