Friday, November 28, 2014

Trader Joe's Chocolate Orange Sticks



I don't know how it's possible that I've written so many blog posts here, but have not yet told you about chocolate orange sticks. I absolutely adore these things. They might be my second-favorite TJ's product, after the raspberry tarte.

I guess I was primed to love them early in life. My mother was from Utah. Every year there would be a trip back there from where we were living in Illinois. Sometimes it was the whole family, sometimes just Mom and some other women from church. But either way, she would always bring back boxes of chocolate orange sticks. Not Trader Joe's, of course, but Sweets brand. These boxes would go in the freezer, to be brought out one at a time--rationed. She treated them like they were the best thing in the world, and I knew it was a special privilege when I got to have a few.

Those were long and skinny. TJ's are short and fat. But they're the same basic idea: a firm orange jelly coated in dark chocolate. Nothing could be simpler. Nothing could be better.

I have to limit myself to three at a time. After lunch, I'll take three out of the tub, put the tub back in its place, and take the three candies to my desk to resume work. If I take the tub, I'll keep eating them until it's empty, or until I'm regretting having eaten so many.

I like to keep them refrigerated. That way the chocolate is less prone to melting on my fingers. Besides, I like the brittleness it conveys to the chocolate. But if you decide you prefer them at room temperature, I won't brand you a dangerous lunatic or anything.

This is a Top Ten item easily.

Will I buy it again? 

Oh my yes. To excess, I fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment