Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Trader Joe's Wild Arugula



I was about to grab one of my usual TJ's bagged salads when my eye caught this. I thinks to myself, "Well, arugula has been part of several other salad mixes I've had, and they've all been pleasant enough. Why not try it all by itself?" That's what I thinks.

I thinks wrong.

I didn't actually serve the arugula by itself; I'll explain in the next post what I concocted. But I did try a few leaves of it by itself. Did not like.

Perhaps it's unfair to judge TJ's arugula as if it's TJ's fault that I didn't like it. I think it's likely that I would have had the same reaction to any brand of arugula. But I kept thinking that the leaves looked like the leaves of the dandelions that I was frequently assigned to kill in the back yard when I was growing up. Maybe that poisoned my mind (the way I poisoned the dandelions) into concluding that the arugula tasted like I imagined the dandelion would, which was pretty foul. (I understand that some people like eating dandelions. I have never tried, but find it hard to picture myself liking them.)

Will I buy it again? 

No. I'll continue to think that arugula is fine as part of a salad mix, but not alone or as the predominant ingredient.



2 comments:

  1. Arrugala means "damn bitter" in Algonquin. The savages ate it, but only when blended with seared moose liver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Savages"...uh wtf? You're a lame.

      Delete