Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Trader Joe's British Style Crumpets



First, can we talk about the product name? "British Style" crumpets? Really? As opposed to, I dunno, Mongolian style crumpets? I'm not sure there is any word in the language that more directly evokes "British" than does crumpet. I think we could do without the specification. (The sketch of the Parliament building on the label might be enough of a hint.)

I had never had crumpets before. I had never seen them for sale in any U.S. grocery store. I wasn't even sure what they were. All the more reason to give them a try!

I guess the best way I can describe them is as a cross between a pancake and an English muffin. They have both taste and texture components of both items. Which means that they really can't help but be good.

Of course, I can't compare them to any other crumpets. It wouldn't surprise me if a proper Brit would turn up her nose at these and say they're a poor imitation of the real thing. But I liked them. A few minutes in the toaster oven, a swipe of butter across the top, and I'm enjoying something a little different for my breakfast.

Will I buy it again? 

Yes. I can see myself becoming a big fan of crumpets.

2 comments:

  1. You know, how easy Crumpets are to make?

    500g Strong Bread Flour
    350ml Warm Milk, Whole Milk is Best
    350ml Cool water
    1 packet of Dried Instant Yeast
    1 Tsp. Salt
    2 Tsp. Baking Soda (Bicarbonate of Soda)

    Put your flour into a medium sized bowl,
    Add The yeast and mix through the flour with a whisk
    Warm up your Milk and then add the water to that
    Add both mixed liquids to your flour and yeast and whisk to a nice batter, don't worry if it seems to thick, you can add a little more water later.
    Cover the bowl with cling film and let rise till doubled in size and then let it fall back, sink.
    I personally leave mine in the fridge for a couple of days, to get a nice flavor.
    Add your salt and Baking Soda and whisk again, add a little water to loosen the batter if necessary, but don't have it to runny.
    Heat up a griddle or electric skillet, I heat my skillet to 300*F
    Oil the griddle or skillet lightly and oil your crumpet rings, let them heat up in the skillet
    Pour in a measure of batter to just over halfway up the ring
    Cook for 6-8 minutes on that side, or until all the bubbles on top have gone and it looks dry on top.
    Now flip your crumpet over for a minute to just color the top
    Remove from the crumpet ring and re-oil the ring and heat, then pour in more batter, no need to re-oil the skillet or griddle.
    This makes about 20 crumpets.

    After they are made you can store in ziploc bags in the fridge or freezer
    If from freezer don't defrost, just put in toaster and heat through
    If from fridge, put in toaster an heat through
    Serve hot with butter and jam
    Or as a base for Eggs Benedict, tastes better than English Muffins.

    Give a try, you'll love your own much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. as opposed to Canadian, australian or New Zealand style crumpets...

    ReplyDelete