Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Trader Joe's British Style Crumpets



First, can we talk about the product name? "British Style" crumpets? Really? As opposed to, I dunno, Mongolian style crumpets? I'm not sure there is any word in the language that more directly evokes "British" than does crumpet. I think we could do without the specification. (The sketch of the Parliament building on the label might be enough of a hint.)

I had never had crumpets before. I had never seen them for sale in any U.S. grocery store. I wasn't even sure what they were. All the more reason to give them a try!

I guess the best way I can describe them is as a cross between a pancake and an English muffin. They have both taste and texture components of both items. Which means that they really can't help but be good.

Of course, I can't compare them to any other crumpets. It wouldn't surprise me if a proper Brit would turn up her nose at these and say they're a poor imitation of the real thing. But I liked them. A few minutes in the toaster oven, a swipe of butter across the top, and I'm enjoying something a little different for my breakfast.

Will I buy it again? 

Yes. I can see myself becoming a big fan of crumpets.

No comments:

Post a Comment