Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Trader Joe's White Stilton Cheese With Mango & Ginger




When I saw this in the store, and realized that they had put mangoes and pieces of ginger into the cheese, two movie clips came to mind:








To be sure, this is not Trader Joe's first time adulterating cheese by adding stuff that doesn't belong. They've toyed with cinnamonpeppers, raspberries, blueberries and vanilla, sriracha sauce, black pepper, paprika, wine, pesto, bacon, apricots, apple pie, rosemary and olive oil, apples and cinnamon. I've tried them all. Plus, I've passed by other examples that I'm pretty sure I would hate, spiked with beer and truffles and onions.

But, surprisingly, the Stilton/mango/ginger combo works pretty well. The mango primarily adds a fruity sweetness (I would have thought they were apricot bits, if the label hadn't said otherwise), while the ginger contributes an interesting edge of brightness. Somehow, the crazy combination...works. Apparently the mad scientists weren't so mad after all.

Sadly, like all Stilton cheeses, this is terribly crumbly. It's impossible to slice; passing a knife through it just makes it all fall apart. To put some on a cracker, I have to scoop up a bunch of crumbs. I find this intolerably annoying.


Will I buy it again? 

No. The texture problem is too much. But I'm glad I tried it once, to be reminded that crazy ideas sometimes work out.

4 comments:

  1. Never would have imagined this flavor combo would work! Maybe it’s better as a garnish on salad or on a larger toast and just crumble directly into the dish?
    Maybe even more bizarre the cheese is from england, they certainly don’t have mangos or ginger locally
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this cheese very tasty. Never would have thought this combination would work, but its delicious. As some have posted it's crumbly but the flavor makes up for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It tastes like the cheese that is used in cheese buns or sfogiatella on the East Coast!
    It was yummy...we ate it with Milton's Gluten Free crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so good. I like with my lentil stew and rye bread.

    ReplyDelete