Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Trader Joe's Tropical Mango Pineapple Salsa



This ain't salsa. You know how I know that? Because there are no tomatoes in it. No diced tomatoes, no tomato puree, nothing. It's orange, not red. The first ingredient is mango, the second pineapple. I like mango and pineapple just fine, which is why I was interested in trying this stuff. But when something is advertised to be a mango and pineapple salsa, I still expect it to be, at root, a salsa--but with some mango and pineapple thrown in as accents. That is not how Trader Joe's sees things, apparently.

Also, too much onion. I have begrudgingly accepted that if I'm going to eat commercial salsa, I'm going to have to put up with some onion. But there's a limit to my tolerance, and this exceeds it--though only by a little, not so much as to make it inedible.


Will I buy it again? 

No. And I'm tempted to report TJ's to the Federal Trade Commission for false advertising. Salsa, my ass.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure I'm not your only reader (you're hardly ever the only one!) who plays a little game when he (or, of course, she -- or other, gender-nonspecific pronoun) opens your blog each day.

    I look at the product and think: Will Bob like this? Would I? Would anyone?

    Today, I was most hopeful that your verdict would be a resounding NO -- because that is almost certainly the ugliest food packaging ever.

    It's certainly in contention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let the fact that there is no requirement that salsa have tomato in it get in the way of a good rant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recognize your narrow definition of salsa as my own default, but the word salsa just means "sauce" in both Spanish and Italian. It may not be a product that pleases you, but it probably does fall under the broader definition of salsa (I haven't tried it). And honestly, this probably isn't the worst linguistic sin committed by TJs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Google "mango salsa recipe". It doesn't have tomatoes. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/48032/mango-salsa/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently, Bob, you need Salsa lessons. LOL.

    ReplyDelete