Friday, May 11, 2018

Trader Joe's Cauliflower Gnocchi


This is one of those occasional Trader Joe's products that I see people on social media get excited about a dozen or more times in the first few days, before I've even had a chance to get to the store. There are also several food-related click-bait web sites that keep up a steady output of Trader Joe's posts ("The [insert number] best [insert type of food] items at Trader Joe's"), and every one of them put up something about the new cauliflower gnocchi within the first week, all with their usual breathless "OMG!" rhetoric.

So how is it really? Well, it's hard to say--because I messed up the preparation.

See those "Pan saute" directions below?



Well, I was following them. But I had a brain fart, and stopped reading after the "about 6 to 8 minutes." Somehow I had mentally put, "And then you're done!" at the end of that first sentence. So they ended up hot but not really cooked right. And they were too sticky. All my fault. I did think it was strange that they weren't browned at all, and they were still kinda gloppy and sticking together, but those misgivings were not enough to prompt me to look at the directions again.

But they tasted decent--just the very mild cauliflower flavor that you'd expect. The only other ingredients are cassava flour, potato starch, olive oil, and salt. So they taste like cauliflower because that's all they can taste like.


Will I buy it again? 

Well, I have to, in order to do the cooking right and report back in an addendum to this post. After that, though, I'm already pretty sure it will be a no. On the rare occasions that I feel like having gnocchi, I would just use the standard potato version. I ain't afraid of no carbs.


Addendum, 1/15/20: 

Apparently the texture is not good even if you follow the directions exactly. There are now a bunch of articles telling you better ways to cook these than the manufacturer came up with. For your convenience, I've assembled them:












3 comments:

  1. Don't follow the directions on the bag to cook them. Best if you put a little EVOO or butter in a pan, toss them until they are golden brown. Absolutely delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried these too, just because of all the raving reviews i saw- which were apparently by carb deprived nitwits who have never had actual gnocchi.
    I followed the pan saute directions and it takes waaaay longer to get any browned edges like the photo on the bag so i gave up worried they would over cook.
    Definitely tastes like cauliflower, and a weird too soft texture not at all chewy like real gnocchi.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete