Thursday, May 10, 2018

Trader Joe's Chicken & Vegetable Wonton Soup



I had to look at this several times to be sure I was grasping the concept correctly: frozen soup??? Yep.

You take the bowl from the freezer, peel back the plastic film just enough to be able to add water to the indicated fill line, then microwave for five minutes--that's it.

It smelled strongly of onion while it was cooking, which worried me, but the flavor of onion was not enough to be a problem.

If you've paid attention to the discrepancies between manufactured food package photographs and actual products, you know not to expect the soup to look as you see here. It's much more broth and much less solid ingredients. In particular, it's seriously lacking in vegetables compared to the picture. There are some carrot shreds (not cut pieces as shown), and a few flat bean pods, but that's about it.

The wontons are decent, but so big they're hard to eat. I'd prefer if they miniaturized them down to bite-size, spoon-size.


Will I buy it again? 

No. It wasn't as bad as my worst fears, and actually made a fairly nice centerpiece of my lunch. But between having chicken (which I try to avoid), having a hard plastic one-time-use bowl to add to a landfill, and being only OK instead of something great, this will remain a one-time experiment in a little TJ's oddity.

2 comments:

  1. i love these and they're only $2.49 each

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve never been a fan of dumplings in soup for the same reason, they’re always too big and awkward for a soup where i want spoon sized stuff in it. Weird they skimped on the veggies since they’re such a low cost addition.
    I wish Tjs sold a veggie version of the chicken cilantro mini dumplings, i always have the veg gyoza on hand but the minis would be great for soup.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete