Monday, September 10, 2018

Trader Joe's TJ's Organic Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce


When I reviewed the Carolina Gold Barbecue Sauce, I wrote, "It's straight down the middle in terms of overall flavor, sweetness, heat, etc. It's just what I would expect from a grocery-store BBQ sauce, really." 

I wish to retract that, and instead apply it to this one. I blame the misattribution on too many years having elapsed since I had purchased and used barbecue sauces. My memory was warped. 

Since writing that, I've found something I like, and now eat frequently, that cries out for good barbecue sauce: Morningstar Farms fake pulled pork. I've been using the Carolina Gold almost exclusively, despite having originally written that I wasn't sure whether it would become a staple. 

Now I have tried the Carolina Gold and this new one side by side--literally on the two halves of the same plate of food--eight times. It has become clear to me how mistaken I was in my sense memory to see the Gold as the standard product. Compared to this, the Gold is quite a bit sweeter, tangier, and spicier. This one is the down-the-middle, traditional BBQ sauce--less sweet and spicy than the Gold, but with much more smokiness. It's also quite a bit thicker; it comes out more in globs, whereas the Gold is fairly thin and pours easily. 

Which one do I like better? I spent a good portion of eight meals pondering that, and couldn't come to a definitive answer. I think if you put a gun to my head and made me pick one of them to use for the rest of my life, it would be this one. But I found that I really, really liked having both of them on my plate of food, side by side, and switching between them several times in the course of one meal. I had originally done that just for comparison-testing purposes, but I think I'm going to keep doing it, even though it seems like a bit of an odd practice. The contrast just works really well for me. 

I guess you could say I discovered co-champions. 


Will I buy it again? 

Yes, definitely. I'm going to include both this and the Gold in my list of staples, because I anticipate keeping both of them on hand permanently. 

3 comments:

  1. I don’t think i have ever tried this one- and sounds like a great combo with the morningstar pulled “pork”. There’s actually a pulled jackfruit i love from Upton’s naturals that i keep meaning to try to make my own but it needs a really good bbq sauce. I’ll pick this up on my next trip
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like they’re trying to play on regional differences in BBQ sauces. Carolina sauce is supposed to be thinner, vinegar based, with some heat. KC sauce is supposed to be thicker, sweeter, and maybe some smokiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never put a gun to your head!

    ReplyDelete