Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Trader Joe's Comte Cheese




This was another unplanned, nearly arbitrary cheese selection. The sign next to this said that it was the French equivalent of Gruyere, which I love, so it seemed an easy win.

And it was. I'd be happy to have this in my refrigerator anytime. However, its flavor is considerably less intense than what I remember of Gruyere.

This may be the most perfectly slicing cheese I've ever had. You can slice it as thin as the sharpness of your knife and your manual dexterity allow, and it will never crumble.

Oh, and the old copy editor in me nearly blew a fuse when I noticed the apostrophe usage on the label:



"Cow's" as a plural? Really, Trader Joe's? If you're going to do that, then why not at least be consistent, and make that bit in the center of the circle "from cow's not treated with rBST"?


Will I buy it again? 

It's ethically difficult for me to support with my purchasing power such an abomination of punctuation. But I liked the product inside the wrapper enough that I will pretend that it doesn't bother me.

7 comments:

  1. More Comte(acute accent) news: http://www.thekitchn.com/43-000-worth-of-comte-cheese-stolen-in-fromage-heist-225597:

    "$43,000 Worth of Comté Cheese Stolen in Fromage Heist"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and by the way: One could easily make a case for "OUR FARMERS GUARANTEE," but I suspect the writer meant it to be "OUR FARMERS' GUARANTEE."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your continued economic support of this grammatically challenged product proves that the purported power of market forces is an illusion. We need strong government regulation to protect consumers from poorly written labels. Perhaps we could even let this government agency have broad grammar regulatory power beyond just labels and ads. We could call them, "The Grammar Police".

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what source of revenue would support the Grammar Police?

    The syn-tax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know who you are, but I adore you. My dear, departed dad was the punster king; it made me smile and weep at the same time reading your comment on cheese. How cheesy you are!

      Delete
    2. Sondra, do NOT encourage him!

      Delete
  5. What is a shame with this cheese is that there is no indication of the inspectors quality rating (on a scale of 20). Those cheeses scoring 15 or above are given a green casein label with the characteristic image of a green bell and may be called 'Comté extra', with 12-15 being given a brown label and simply called 'Comté'.

    ReplyDelete