Friday, December 11, 2015

Trader Joe's Les Salades du Midi: Champs Elysees



I've had this several times. I think the best way to describe it is that it's TJ's most basic, generic bagged salad--assuming you want something other than just lettuce. There's nothing interesting about it, but it's unlikely to contain anything that anybody in your family won't like. It's what I pick when I want something well-known and unadventurous.

There's a problem with this and other TJ's bagged salads: Sometimes they look fine in the store, but they're apparently on their last legs of freshness, and by the next day the contents are wilting and sad-looking. This happens even when I'm careful to look through the offerings and pick only the best-looking ones with the latest sell-by date on the package. This happens maybe one out of three or four times. My impression is that it happens somewhat more with TJ's than with similar products from other grocers, but I certainly can't claim to have tracked the phenomenon closely enough to have any good evidence for that impression. See here for the experience I had with TJ's "Organic Herb Salad Mix."


Will I buy it again? 

Yes. It's boring but predictable (with the caveat explained above).

5 comments:

  1. I swear it's a packaging problem, like the bag they use isn't the right kind or something... Too many people have said the exact same thing and i've had the same experience. I open the greens bag when i get home and stick a paper towel in to try and get any excess moisture and just plan to eat in the next day or two. This mix is good but cruciferous crunch usually wins since i make it as a massaged kale salad or sautee it.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look for the flattest bags. Less fluff means less gas released from the greens, equals fresher. Works for me, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting theory. I had never thought of that. I wonder if there's any validity to it. I'm mighty tempted to find a fat and a flat bag with the same expiration date, and just leave them unopened to see if one goes ugly faster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always take my greens out of the bag when I get them home. I line one of the black rectangular plastic container(our to go Chinese food come in them) with a slightly damp paper towel, put the greens in, cover it with the plastic top & viola-our greens last over a week!!!! One of our son's family order take out every other week so I have plenty of them:))).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had a bag for a week. Totally unopened and still sealed. I meant to consume it early last week and I didn't. Should I throw it away? I'm afraid to try eating it.

    ReplyDelete