Thursday, October 16, 2014

Trader Joe's 100% Honey Crisp Apple Cider Unfiltered



Honeycrisps are my favorite apples. Maybe this is because of some weird pride at having lived for 17 years in Minnesota, where the variety was developed. But they're mainly famous for eating, not juicing, so it surprised me to see this item on TJ's shelves. It was an instant decision to give it a try.

It is definitely different from most apple juices and ciders, and definitely recognizable as honeycrisp. (I don't know why TJ's calls it "honey crisp" instead of "honeycrisp." Maybe there's some sort of trademark issue.) Very tasty. At $2.99 for 64 ounces, it's no more expensive than others.

Will I buy it again? 

Definitely. When I'm in the mood for apple juice, this is likely to be my first choice.


Nina's View

This juice has a nice, distinctive flavor. And it would be great if it weren't so darn sweet. This is perpetually an issue with apple juice for me—after all they use it to sweeten OTHER juices so that they can still claim to be 100% juice. So, I'm hardly ever just drinking a glass of the stuff. But it might make a nice mixer.



Addendum, October 30, 2015: 

Trying this again a year later, and comparing it side-by-side with another excellent apple juice, TJ's flash-pasteurized, convinces me that my original praises were not high enough. It's simply the best you can buy. I'm belatedly entering it into my Top Ten list. And to see the opinion of somebody who loves it even more than I do, see this post from the "Trader Joe's 365" blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment