Friday, October 3, 2014

Trader Joe's Scallion Pancakes (Pa jeon)



Nina's View 

You may remember when Bob commenced this enterprise, he swore a mighty oath that he would not be reviewing anything with onions in it. That would, of course, include spring onions, aka scallions, of which this product is chockablock full.

Words cannot express the tragedy that this represents. Alas, Bob will never enjoy or have the chance to come to appreciate the all-out deliciousness that are Trader Joe's frozen pucks of delight, the Scallion Pancakes (Pa jeon) of Joy.

I eat them for breakfast.
I eat them for lunch.
I eat them for dinner.
Or a snack. 

I fry them in a non-stick pan. The packaging says you should add oil, but I don't, because they've got plenty oil in them (enough so that they even require blotting with a paper towel when done). In about five to seven minutes on a medium-low heat, with plenty of pressing and flipping, you get a marvelously browned item with a crispy outside, a tender inside, and oodles of scalliony goodness. A little soy sauce or just salt and you have nomming perfection.

You get four pancakes in a bag. Generally, I find one makes a good serving size. But they're so tasty that I'm frequently tempted to cook another one up right after I finish the first. I recommend refraining. They are filling and the second one is too much for one person.

This is the sort of prepared food I can get behind. Yes, I'm sure I could learn to make these (in fact, I should probably try). But the reality is I'm unlikely to decide to whip up scallion pancakes on short notice *and* have all the materials to hand. Whereas these can reside in my freezer awaiting my whim. This is a little indulgence I'm prepared to pay for.

No comments:

Post a Comment