Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Trader Joe's Organic Frosted Toaster Pastries--Pumpkin





I used to eat Pop Tarts a lot--both when I was a kid and for much of my adult life. It's a habit that has fallen by the wayside in recent years. I've lived in Asheville for almost two years, and have had none in that time.

I honestly didn't even know that Trader Joe's had its own line of Pop Tart knockoffs. I almost never buy traditional breakfast foods, so I haven't explored that section of the TJ's shelves. I only knew about the pumpkin variety because of posts on Twitter. Then when my local store had a big display of them set up on the end of an aisle, I gave in to curiosity. Frankly, I expected to find them disgusting, but I figured it would be worth a laugh, and give me a chance to write a funny, scathing review.

Well, I can't do that. I actually liked them. The pumpkin-spice flavoring is much sweeter and milder than I had anticipated. The strangest thing is that somehow they tasted like real food, which one could never say of the Kellogg's products. Maybe that's because of ingredients like whole-wheat flour and cane sugar. I'm genuinely surprised by how good these things are. They are no mere seasonal gimmick.

Will I buy it again? 

I'm not so gung-ho for them that I'm ready to overhaul my eating habits in order to fit toaster pastries back into my daily routine. But I think I can bring home one box a year when TJ's rolls them out every fall, and look forward to it, without making myself sick of them. And now that I look around the web, I see that TJ's has a cherry-pomegranate flavor of toaster pastries. It took about three seconds for that to go onto my shopping list. Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment