Sunday, October 5, 2014

Trader Joe's Raisin Rosemary Crisps



I tried these crackers at Nina's house. I had noticed them in the store when searching for crackers, but always passed them by because I couldn't wrap my brain around the concept of raisins in crackers. That's just too much of a crossing of food boundaries for me. To quote Dr. Peter Venkman in Ghost Busters, "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!" Or to quote George Constanza in Seinfeld, "It's just common sense. Everybody knows, you've gotta keep your worlds apart!" Crackers, and all things in them, are to be crunchy, crackly, and savory, not sweet, fruity, and chewy. This is Food Science 101.

That said, when topped with some nice white cheddar cheese, the whole flavor combination worked really well. It threw me off when I ran into a raisin, which clearly did not belong, categorically speaking. But if I ignored the knowledge of what was going on, and just tasted, it was very nice.

I might have to rethink the worlds and categories thing, because there was something quite right about these things with cheese on them. This requires further study.

Will I buy it again? 

I'm still unsure at this point. They were good--but there were raisins in the crackers (did I mention that?), which is unsettling.


Nina's View


I think these things are the diggity-bomb, which is why I served them up. I am a huge rosemary fan, the texture is perfect, and the raisins are by no means overwhelming. I would eat these all day by the handful if they weren't expensive.



No comments:

Post a Comment