Thursday, October 23, 2014

Trader Joe's Yellowfin Tuna In Olive Oil



Unlike the skipjack tuna, this stuff tasted exactly the way I have come to expect tuna to taste after 50 years of eating it. However, as far as I can tell, TJ's does not sell a version of this packed in water.

Will I buy it again? 

Maybe if I'm in a pinch. But I would prefer water-packed tuna to cut down on the calories, so for the most part I anticipate continuing my practice of buying mass quantities of Bumblebee brand when I find it at a good price.

Note 

While looking to see if TJ's had this same thing packed in water (thinking that perhaps it was just out of stock at my store), I came across this announcement from TJ's last year, about switching their sources of tuna and other seafood to more sustainable sources. A couple of months ago National Geographic magazine had an article about the overfishing of some types of tuna. It's possible that I should reconsider my purchasing habits on the basis of this concern. After all, I doubt that Bumblebee, Star Kist, and Chicken of the Sea will pay as much attention to this issue as TJ's does.

No comments:

Post a Comment