Saturday, January 24, 2015

Trader Joe's Citrus Gum Drops



As with so many food items, I had the Platonic ideal of gumdrops fixed firmly in my mind in childhood. You know what I'm talking about: Brach's spicy gumdrops, amiright?

Normally I would say, "Accept no substitutes." But my commitment to the writing of this here blog means that I often push myself to try something when I'm really feeling very sure that I would prefer my usual brand. That's how it was here. I saw these in the checkout aisle, and immediately thought, "Why bother? They're not Brachs."

Sometimes ignoring that impulse and trying the new thing has led me to delightful discoveries, like tomato-red pepper soup. But more often, I think, I end up deciding that my old favorites should remain my favorites.

So it is here. These gumdrops are nice, and definitely more citrusy (tangerine, pink grapefruit, key lime, and lemon, to be exact) than what Brach's will sell you. But I find that after a few, I've had all I want. With the spicy Brach's, I keep wanting more.

So, good try, TJ's. But not quite good enough.

Will I buy it again? 

No.

No comments:

Post a Comment