Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Trader Joe's Dried Pineapple Rings



I've had lots of dried fruit in my day, but I don't think I had ever heard of the existence of dried pineapple until I noticed these packages on the Trader Joe's shelf. I love pineapple, so it was an instantaneous decision to add these to my basket.

They're pretty good, but they have a couple of functional limitations for the purpose I had in mind, which was to carry in my backpack for lunch/snacking on a long bus ride. First, they're rather sticky, so if you're in a situation where you won't be able to wash your hands, or at least use a wet wipe, you're going to regret it. (This is probably true of pretty much any dried fruit, I guess, but I think these are somewhat more so.) Second, as with fresh pineapple, you'll be left with big hunks of fruit stuck between your teeth for a while.

Oddly, they're not as sweet as I had anticipated. Some dried fruit tastes sweeter than fresh because of concentration of the sugars. It did not seem to be the case here. That's OK, it's just not what I imagined before my first bite.

Will I buy it again? 

Not regularly, but I think dried pineapple rings can easily be a "once in a while" late-night snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment