Saturday, January 10, 2015

Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Covered Powerberries



I should love these. They combine two of my favorite things: berries and chocolate. What's not to love?

But I don't love them. Not at all. In fact, I found them unpleasant in both taste and texture.

I have to wonder what it means for them to be made of "fruit juice pieces." How do you get a "piece" of a juice? Probably some sort of reduction process that turns the juice to solids, I guess. But whatever it is, I don't like the result. It has a weird off-putting flavor that's hard to describe. Worse, the texture has a strange grittiness. I suppose it's crystallization of the juices or something, but the mouth feel is just wrong, almost as if you're eating chocolate-covered sand.

I ate a handful after opening the bag, thinking that they might grow on me. They didn't. I haven't gone back to eat any more of them, and I don't think I will. I'm afraid the remainder of this bag is destined for the compost heap.

Will I buy it again? 

No, and it makes me sad that I can't like something made from berries and chocolate. Things are not right with the world.


Nina's View

I call these thing Fruit Duds.

I completely agree with Bob. This is a colossal fail, when it ought to be a slam-dunk win. What, oh what were the taste-testers at TJ's thinking with this one?


Other opinions 

For the second time in a row, I find that the "WGATJ" bloggers have about as different an assessment as can be imagined: http://www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com/2013/02/trader-joes-powerberries.html

2 comments:

  1. Oh I am glad I saw this... I have been tempted by those. I shall not forget the FRUIT DUDS name when next I am tempted...

    ReplyDelete