Monday, January 5, 2015

Trader Joe's Pear Tarte



After deciding that the Trader Joe's raspberry tarte was the best thing in the store, we naturally were eager to try its sibling, the pear tarte. The verdict: It's good, but not great. I would rather have this than most other desserts, but it's not in the best-of-the-best, to-die-for categories.

Will I buy it again? 

That's tricky in this case, because it's so similar to the raspberry version that the occasions or moods that would trigger buying one would equally trigger buying the other--but the raspberry is so much better that it's hard to see myself ever going for the pear instead. But maybe if I were bringing a dessert to a dinner where I knew raspberry wouldn't go well, or if they stopped making the raspberry one (heaven forbid!), or if it were temporarily out of stock, then, sure, I'd happily have the pear.


Nina's View

The pear tarte est une grande déception. The raspberry tarte is so good because the fruit is exquisitely ripe and full of flavor. The pears, by contrast, in the tarte we had were NOT perfectly ripe (a little too hard) and not especially flavorful. This created a mouthful of sweet blandness. 

I would give this dessert a second tasting, on the chance that we got a subpar sample. But only one, because RASPBERRY TARTE.

No comments:

Post a Comment