Friday, July 3, 2015

Trader Joe's cherry juice




I saw something in the Fearless Flyer about cherry juice, and decided that I should try it. But when I got to the store, I noticed that there were two different products. So what's one to do? Comparison test, of course!

Predictably, the "not from concentrate" version is more expensive than the "from concentrate" version--$4.99 versus $3.99. (Let's call these "NFC" and "FC" for short.) Encouragingly, neither label shows the products being loaded up with apple and grape juices, like most of the TJ's juice products. The FC label lists water and cherry juice concentrate--nothing more. The NFC label is even simpler: "Juice from ripe, whole red tart cherries."

Both bottles are 32 ounces, and the serving size for nutritional labeling purposes is 8 ounces for each. But Nina noticed that the carbohydrate and sugar content is significantly different. The NFC has 31g of carbs, of which 29 are from sugars, 0 from dietary fiber. The FC has 36g of carbs, of which 26 are from sugars and 1 from dietary fiber. I don't understand why any of these values would be different between the two versions. The NFC version also has more than four times as much sodium, a difference which also puzzles me.

Nina set up a blind taste test for me to see if I could identify which was which. I guessed wrong. In retrospect, I think I created a mental shortcut, without explicitly realizing it, that identified "better" as "NFC," based on our experience with TJ's orange juices.

I have now finished off both bottles, and my preference for the FC version remains clear and strong. It's much easier to enjoy. But it's not merely a matter of one being "more so" than the other. Rather, they're so different in their basic taste that Nina and I both suspected that they are made from completely different varieties of cherries.

The Fearless Flyer informs us:
Our 100% Cherry Juice, in the curvy bottle, is a blend of tart, sour, and sweet cherry juices from varieties such as Prunus Cerasus (tart), Prunus Acida (tart), Prunus Fructicosa (sour), and Prunus Avium (sweet). The different cherry varieties combine to make a juice that's easy to drink and loaded with antioxidants. With all this going for it, 100% Cherry Juice is a perennial favorite in our stores.
Trader Joe's 100% Cherry Juice comes to us from the Caucasus Mountains/Black Sea region of Georgia - the country that lies at the intersection of Eastern Europe and Western Asia, not the state that lies in the heart of the southeastern United States. This area is home to some of the world's finest cherries - they're generally referred to as "sour" or "tart". We find the juice significantly sweeter than our Red Tart Cherry Juice. Unlike some cherry juices, this is a very easy juice to drink, with or without mixers. 
So the NFC is indeed derived from a different mix of cherry varieties. 

Regardless of the reason, I preferred its taste, it's cheaper, and it has less cloudy sediment settling down to the bottom of the glass. Therefore, I have no difficulty picking a winner here--and it's exactly the opposite of what I predicted going in. 

Will I buy it again? 

FC, yes. NFC, no. 


Nina's View

The not-from-concentrate 100% Red Tart tastes like an actual cherry, a specific cherry. It has that slightly earthy back-of-the-tongue furriness you get from eating a tart, fresh cherry. I would be very surprised if this was a blend of multiple types of cherry. It tastes singular. I liked it a lot.

The from-concentrate is orders of magnitude sweeter and more generic. I was very surprised to see more carbs from sugar in the NFC. It makes zero sense to me. It's extremely drinkable and I have no problem understanding why Bob prefers it. 


14 comments:

  1. The reason to drink tart red cherry juice is not taste....but to keep gout at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny. I experienced exactly the same thing. I love the FC and don't really care for the NFC. And interestingly, my family hails from the Caucasus, so maybe that's why I like the FC so much. Thanks for your analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The not from concentrate "tart" version is more healthy (again, for gout), and it tastes...real. This seems like a great deal. Hands down, my winner is the NFC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Both bottles are 64 ounces" - mistake. 32 ounces each.

    flips flops between liking "NFC" to "FC".

    ReplyDelete
  5. FC you are paying for water. I have gout and for sole purpose of that I buy the NFC and have option of diluting it myself w water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. NFC is great whenever my gout flair up I drink it for a few days and gouts gone, sometime I mix a little NFC pineapple juice gives it a great taste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The juices are made from entirely different varieties of cherries. I vastly prefer tart cherries, which taste like cherry pie to me, not overly sweet. This is very close to Tart Cherry Stomp, without being mixed with apple juice. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not know gout had returned to the public Arena or the public health concern. Good brands that have the 'only'.. designation or the term 'just'.. in front of the fruit-- as in just ...whatever--obviously have been in my experience much stronger to the point of almost burning. I can see the benefits of using those due to the lack of additives and or sugar... I also do not understand why the from concentrate types would have less sugar. Would like to understand process for adding my own water to the super concentrated types that you are referring to here because that can be easily done the wrong way correct?

    ReplyDelete
  9. One reason the from concentrate is sweeter and more carbs is the juice is concentrated...more cherry volume and water added to make 32 oz where the not from concentrate is just cherries so not as much volume and just tart cherries vs other types added.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say this article is very poorly written, and therefore, was not the least bit informative or helpful. Yes, there was, and still is a flip-flop between the FC and NFC. i.e. "So the NFC is indeed derived from a different mix of cherry varieties.

    Regardless of the reason, I preferred its taste, it's cheaper, and it has less cloudy sediment settling down to the bottom of the glass." That definitely makes it sound like the NFC was the preferred 'winner' to the writer. Most important: "Our 100% Cherry Juice,...", then "Trader Joe's 100% Cherry Juice...". The actual names on the bottles are 'TJ's 100% Red Tart Cherry Juice (NFC)', and 'TJ's 100% Cherry Juice (FC)'. Since the article did not clearly explain the contents using the actual names on the pictured bottles, or at a minimum adding NFC and FC, I have no idea which bottle contains which cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are the bottles glass?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a pharmaceutical rep and the medical benefits of cherry juice have only been documented in clinical studies with Montmorency Tart Cherry Juice. One of the largest growing areas of the Montmorency cherry variety is theTraverse City, Michigan area. Indian Summer Montmorency Tart Cherry Juice is ready to drink from the bottle but is becoming harder to find and more expensive. It can sometimes be ordered thru Sam's Club and Walmart. Amazon has nearly doubled the price. It's a great melatonin booster for improved sleep architecture and the anti-inflammatory properties are better than drugs without significant side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just want to comment that the “NFC” juice is tart cherry juice-made from tart cherries, whereas the “FC” juice is simply just cherry juice. They are definitely different products for different uses, not just from concentrate and not from concentrate.

    ReplyDelete