Friday, July 17, 2015

Trader Joe's Cold Pressed Juice--Watermelon



This is a brand-new product, the fourth in Trader Joe's "cold pressed" line. (The others are "red," "yellow," and "green.") Fortunately, it's somewhat cheaper than those exorbitant ones, at "only" $3.69 instead of $4.99. TJ's own introduction to the product is here.

Unlike the previous three varieties, this is not a complex blend of many different juices. In fact, it contains just two: watermelon and lemon.

I couldn't taste the lemon at all. And the watermelon tasted much more like it came from the rind than from the sweet, red flesh of the melon. As Nina pointed out to me, it even veered toward a cucumber taste rather than watermelon. I did not like it.

Will I buy it again? 

No.


Nina's View

My first impression of this juice was negative. There was the weird "cucumber but not" note from the rind, and the lemon—which I could definitely taste—was more like that stale stuff perversely called ReaLemon you used to buy in the grocery store when you were too lazy to actually squeeze a lemon. 

But by the fifth sip or so, I started to not mind it. Eventually I found it refreshing. But what it really made me want to do was bust out my own juicer and make fresh watermelon-cucumber-lemon juice. Perfect for a hot summer's day. Aaaaaah!


3 comments:

  1. Different strokes for different folks. I loved this. It tasted like watermelon juice. The juice at the bottom of a bowl after eating a bowl of watermelon. Exactly what I expected when I bought it =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I too really really enjoyed it. It was a 'treat' for me, given its almost 4 bucks but I've been known to pay that much at coffee shops so meh, on a hot humid day this hit the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watermelon and have tried other brands where it is blended with other flavors. To be blunt, TJ's is not only not good, it's awful. After one swallow I made the mistake of smelling it. The best I can say about it is it tastes only slightly better than it smells. 0 stars.

    ReplyDelete