Saturday, July 25, 2015

Trader Joe's Joe-Joe's



Try not to be upset, but we have arrived at the end of CHOCOLATE WEEK. We finish up with one of Trader Joe's perennial best-selling items. 


I approached these cookies on the assumption--a natural one, I think--that they were a copycat of Oreos, and was disappointed to find that they are not. Well, that is perhaps an overstatement. Obviously on one level they are copying Oreos. Both are chocolate wafers sandwiching a white, vanilla cream center. From three feet away, you'd probably have a hard time telling which was which.

But there are pronounced differences. These are not nearly as intensely sweet as Oreos, and the kind of chocolate and vanilla flavors are quite far afield from what Oreos have taught you to expect, though I lack the vocabulary to describe exactly how they differ. What I can tell you is that I had a strong initial dislike: "These aren't Oreos! WTF?"

However, after a while, I got used to the difference. When I stopped expecting Oreos, I found that I could accept these on their own terms, and even enjoy them. I don't think they're nearly as good; given a straight-up choice, I'd go with Nabisco every time. But if Oreos ceased to exist, I would buy a box of these once in a while and like them--though it would still be with a melancholy wish that they'd bring back the original.

Will I buy it again? 

I doubt it, since I see no indication that Nabisco is about to go out of business.


Nina's View

I'm sorry, but these cookies are a travesty. They taste like sugar and not much else. If I'm going to consume unhealthy calories in quantity, I expect some flavor, dagnabbit.

1 comment: