Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Trader Joe's Super Spinach Salad



...with quinoa, carrots, cranberries, chickpeas, edamame, pumpkin seeds, and a carrot ginger miso dressing.

I think that all may be part of the name of the product, but it wouldn't have fit in a headline anyway, so I've relegated it to below-the-photo status. By the way, it also has some grape tomatoes that for some reason were omitted from the name.

I picked this from TJ's selection of prepared salads as an accompaniment to the black bean and jack cheese burritos, for a dinner with Nina. I guessed correctly, I think, that they paired well, with complementary, non-overlapping flavor profiles.

I was a little worried about this, to tell the truth. I don't mind spinach in a salad mix, but making it the foundation is kind of iffy in my book. And I had no idea what to expect from the carrot-ginger-miso dressing. But it all worked together surprisingly well. In fact, I think it's the best of the TJ's salad tubs (to be distinguished from the bagged salad mixes) I've tried yet.

Will I buy it again? 

Yes. I'm not exactly in love with the stuff, but it seems healthy, tasty, filling, and at least mildly interesting.


2 comments:

  1. I love this salad! It's one of my favorite quick filling healthy work lunches. there's a new cauliflower curry salad i had the other day that is great, really flavorful yet not spicey hot and great texture combo.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Nina and I had the cauliflower/kale curry salad a few days ago, but we didn't like it as much as you do. There's a huge backlog of posts right now, so that review probably won't be published until December or so.

    ReplyDelete