Saturday, December 13, 2014

Trader Joe's Baked Lentil Chips


This is exactly the sort of product I had at least vaguely in mind when I decided to start writing this blog. My inclination is always to stick with the things that I know and like, not venture out, because of the eternal equation: NEW = SCARY.

But I had a strong suspicion that once I committed myself to writing about new items I tried, it would tip the balance in how I weighed purchase decisions. The pre-blog process, when spotting something like lentil chips on the store shelf was approximately this: "It might be good, but it might be awful, so I'll just pass." With the commitment to write about new things, however, this changes. It becomes, roughly, "If it's good, I'll enjoy it. If I don't like it, at least I can do a blog post about what's wrong with it." And so the moment of decision shifts from "leave it" to "take it."

In this instance, I'm glad I did. I knew that I liked lentils, but that sure doesn't mean that I'd necessarily like lentil chips. But I did! They have a mild, pleasant taste, clearly different from potato chips. My biggest surprise was how much the black pepper added to my enjoyment of them, something I'm not sure I've ever felt before.

I didn't like them so much that they'll replace potato chips as my main accompaniment to a sandwich at lunch, but I definitely enjoyed polishing off the bag. They even emboldened me to take a chance on a whole new chip dip; see tomorrow's post.

Will I buy it again? 

Once in a while, yes.


Nina’s View

Indescribably bland. A good shape for dipping into hummus or other spread. A significant percentage of the chips were undercooked, which I find utterly unacceptable. I would not buy these.

No comments:

Post a Comment