Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Trader Joe's Real Mistletoe



I believe this is the first real mistletoe I've ever purchased. The box says something about it being preserved so that it will last all season. Once you take it out of the box, the preservation method becomes obvious: it's dried, then painted green. I suppose it's still marginally better than plastic versions, but not by much.

However, I hung it up, and the next time Nina came for a visit, I maneuvered her unsuspecting self under it and kissed her. So it worked! What more can one ask of it?

Will I buy it again? 

No. First, I shouldn't have to, since I think this will last for a few years, unless it crumbles to dust in storage. Second, well, I don't mean to brag, but I have a hunch that I might have been able to get Nina to kiss me even without any mistletoe. But for $1.99, it was fun to use once.

Update: I wrote the above a few days ago, and the mistletoe is already gone. I didn't have it mounted very securely, and it kept falling down. Every time it did, a bunch of leaves would fall off--not surprising, since they're dried and spray-painted. After the fourth time, there was so little left that I just gave up and tossed the remainder. But I did get another kiss out of it before it turned to dust.


Nina's View 

Okay, I like the idea of mistletoe. Romantic. All natural. Even pretty, in a kind of basic shiny-leaf-waxy-white-berry way.

But this TJ's stuff? NEGATORY. 

First of all, who sprays plasticky green flocking all over something natural to preserve it? Furthermore, why would you *need* to preserve mistletoe anyway? The whole point of the stuff is that it's seasonal. SEASONAL. Good for One Season.

I think it is most accurate to say that I kissed Bob despite the TJ's mistletoe. At least twice.


No comments:

Post a Comment