Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Trader Joe's Fancy Shredded Mexican Blend



My usual choice for shredded cheese (and, yes, I'm lazy enough to buy it packaged rather than grate it myself) is Sargento's "Four State Cheddar." Maybe I'm just showing my troglodyte palate here, but if you blindfolded me and had me taste that or this TJ's "Mexican" blend, I'm not confident I could tell you which is which--a point that is meant to illustrate that I detect nothing especially Mexican about this stuff. Once it's sprinkled on any dish with its own personality, whatever small traces of Mexicanality (Mexicanness? Mexicanitude?) there might be to it completely vanish into the background, and you're left with just a generic sense of "cheese."

To be honest, that's fine with me. It's all I expect from shredded cheese as a garnish. So this stuff does the job satisfactorily. Still, I'm disappointed that if there's anything distinctive about Mexican cheese, I'm not finding it in this product.

Will I buy it again? 

Probably not.

1 comment: