Sunday, December 21, 2014

Trader Joe's Beet Hummus



This is a brand-new product at Trader Joe's, and it's exactly the kind of offbeat, category-busting, "who thought of that?" item that makes shopping at TJ's so much more interesting than picking up groceries at Safeway.

I didn't mind this stuff, but I didn't love it. The beets completely dominate the traditional hummus ingredients of chickpeas and tahini, though the label promises that they're in there somewhere. A more accurate product name would be "beet mash," but they probably wouldn't sell much of that.

Will I buy it again? 

No--not because it's bad, but because when I want hummus, I want something that actually looks and tastes like hummus. I have not yet experienced a urge to eat beet mash. If I ever do, my answer here will change. Still, I do expect to encounter it again--at Nina's house, because of what I'm pretty sure she's about to tell you. (Spoiler: "Nom!")


Nina’s View

I will stipulate that it’s not particularly hummus-y. Fair enough.

But what it is, is remarkably—nay, outrageously!—tasty. When Bob mentioned that this existed, I said to myself: “That sounds like it might be good. I’d try it.”

I ate 9/10ths of the tub in about 8 minutes. So good. Really really good. Again: not so much with the hummus, but I don’t care. It’s got kind of an earthy sweet ’n’ sour thing going on (balsamic and other vinegar, which they could dial back a wee bit I will admit, but just a skosh). As Bob spoilered above, NOM!

If he thinks I’m going to serve this to him at my place, he is sadly mistaken. Why would I put this fabulous food in front of someone who clearly does not appreciate it the way it deserves (“didn’t mind?” "beet mash?" how disrespectful!)? More for me, none for him. I will hug it and pet it and call it George.

And then I will devour it.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy this blog and especially when Nina comments. I wish she would write a novel so I could read that too. Good stuff.
    ohcowboy12go

    ReplyDelete