Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Trader Joe's Egg Nog Ice Cream



This is the fourth Trader Joe's ice cream I have tried (with "ice cream" there understood to encompass all similar products even if they don't technically qualify as ice cream). The first three have all been outstanding: pomegranate blueberry sherbet, Soy Creamy Cherry Chocolate Chip (review pending), and Chocolate Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert.  Would TJ's be able to keep the streak going and make it four out of four excellent ice creams?

Sadly, no. This was a major disappointment. I always liked the taste of egg nog when I was growing up and Dad would make it for us. Always the non-alcoholic kind, of course. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've never had the "adult" version.

But this ice cream tastes almost nothing like that. It's really much more like a French vanilla ice cream. The spicing is so mild that it might as well not even be there. The list of ingredients says that there is "bourbon vanilla extract" present, but I sure can't taste it.

Overall, I didn't hate it, but I sorely wished that it had been something more special, more distinctive--more like what it purports to be.

For a concurring opinion, see this review from the "What's Good at Trader Joe's" blog.

Will I buy it again? 

No. On the rare occasion that I want French vanilla ice cream, I'll buy French vanilla ice cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment