Monday, September 28, 2015

Trader Joe's Refried Pinto Beans Salsa Style



This is Day 2 of Mexican Week. 


I really didn't know what to expect from these. What is "salsa style" as applied to refried beans? I couldn't guess. So I avoided them for a long time even after purchasing them. It was always easier and safer to go for the plain refried beans. But when Nina was over for dinner one night and I was going to be making tostadas with beans and Soy Chorizo, I gave her the choice of several different kinds of refried beans I had on hand, and she choose this one.

Maybe it should have been obvious, but they're just like plain refried beans if you stirred in some generic salsa. Which is to say, a little spicier and livelier than the regular version, but not a radical departure.

Will I buy it again? 

Probably not. When I make tostadas with Soy Chorizo (my preferred way), they don't need any more hotting up. When I make them without, there's another brand of spicy refried beans that I like better than this TJ's product.


Nina's View

To be honest, all I could tell about these beans when prepared tostada style was that they had a vaguely tomatoey undertone. I would not describe them as spicy in any way. Don't bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment