Sunday, February 21, 2016

Trader Joe's Cotton Kitchen Towels




These came out in December. I bought a set right away, as my existing kitchen towels were getting pretty sadly thinned and faded by too many trips through the washer and dryer.

They come in several different colors. As you can see from the second picture, within each set you get two identical, and one contrasting pattern of the same color. They're quite attractive, and add a nice splash of color to my otherwise dull kitchen.

The only thing I use them for is drying my hands after washing them--which I do a lot. At first they were kind of stiff and poorly absorbent. I suspected that after a washing that would change--and it did. They're better now, but still not as efficient as good ol' terrycloth for the only thing I ask them to do.


Will I buy it again? 

No. The few extra seconds it takes to dry my hands with insufficiently absorbent towels well deserves the #FirstWorldProblems hashtag. But it annoys me just a little bit every time, and it's several times a day. Time for a trip to Wal-Mart for some new towels.

3 comments:

  1. That's what you get for buying dish towels and expecting them to work as well as terrycloth hand towels for drying your hands. Flat, woven cotton towels as opposed to terrycloth are what I want for drying dishes or using them to cover a bowl of yeast dough while it rises, or keeping freshly made pasta on one for a short period of time until I'm ready to cook the pasta in boiling water. "Kitchen towels" may be something of a misnomer for some people, but I know that flat, woven cotton kitchen towels are what most people call "dish towels" and they work well for that purpose. In fact, next to my kitchen sink I have two single V-shaped towel hangers -- I use one for a terrycloth towel for hand drying and the other for a flat, woven cotton towel for dish drying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrycloth aren't good in the kitchen. They take too long to dry out between uses, thereby allowing germs to stick around longer. Keep 2 woven towels to use alternately while one dries out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love these towels. Unfortunately they are not available at the Trader Joe's that I shop at in Annapolis, MD any longer. Can someone help me find them?

    ReplyDelete