Monday, November 27, 2017

Envy apples



I saw somebody on Twitter excited to find her favorite variety of apple at Trader Joe's. I had never heard of Envy, but I looked it up, and of course the brand's web site makes it sound fabulous. So I grabbed two of them on my last TJ's trip.

I am underwhelmed. They are extremely crispy, I'll give them that. But it's almost to a fault; they're actually physically difficult to bite into because of being so firm.

Other than that, I found no extraordinary qualities. They're not especially sweet or juicy.


Will I buy it again? 

No. I'd pick a honeycrisp over Envy every time.

And, do we really need to be flying apples in from New Zealand, which is about as far from the US as it's possible to get?

1 comment:

  1. Not a fan of those Envy apples either, they seemed to lack actual apple flavor somehow...

    I actualy picked up a bag of small honey crisps on my last trip, which felt risky because so often those smaller apples in a bag have several that are a bit beaten up (but i have a juicer so no produce goes to waste). I'm thrilled, they're just as great as the big ones but more snackable. Will definitely rebuy next time i see them!
    Ttrockwood
    Ps
    The new small bottle of cold pressed all pomegranate juice is amazing-not something to drink as is, but great with seltzer or instead of vinegar for a vinegrette.

    ReplyDelete