Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Trader Joe's Pain Au Lait


My first impression was that these are pretty ordinary dinner rolls, with only an elongated shape setting them apart. But as I got more bites into it, I started noticing the extra sweetness, and I liked it. In fact, I finished it, and went back to the bag for another. And then another.

I polished off the whole bag by myself--not with dinner, just as snacking--over the course of three days. I never even added butter or jam, nor did I heat them up, though I suppose that such steps would make them even better.

I think I still prefer some of the canned-dough rolls. (TJ's own crescent rolls are a favorite.) But that's largely because of the sensory advantage of the straight-from-the-oven heat. For pre-made rolls in a bag, these are the best I've ever had.


Will I buy it again? 

Yes--even though it seems weird to me to have bread made in France and flown across the ocean.

1 comment:

  1. It is crazy the bread comes from france but it's actually shipped frozen (like the sliced brioche loaf which is actually even better-!). I tried these twice, the first bag was undoubtedly more fresh and perfect for the little sandwiches i made with them for a gathering. Second bag wasn't quite as fresh but after 20seconds in the microwave with a little pb and j they were fantastic as a quick sturdy snack. My (potentially insane) friend is going to brave TJs this weekend and pick them up as our thanksgiving dinner rolls
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete