Monday, June 1, 2015

Trader Joe's Dixie Peach



If you were to look back through all of the reviews we've done here with the category label "juice," you might notice a pattern: The ones that are in small bottles tend to be good, while the ones in big jugs tend to be mediocre to bad. The pattern continues here.

Your first impression from the label is that this is "Dixie Peach" and "100% juice," and thus must be pure peach juice--which would be super-yummy, right? But if you either have experience with the way that Trader Joe's does these things, or think carefully about the careful wording of the smaller print underneath, you would be forewarned. The key words there are "peach flavored." I will at least grant TJ's this much: such wording on the front is an improvement on finding the truth only by scrutinizing the tiny print on the back, where ingredients are listed.

My first impression was indeed that peach flavor dominates over the others. But there's no doubt that this is a "peach flavored" blend, rather than peach juice. It's nothing like, for example, really good apricot nectar.

As is the case with most of these big-bottle TJ's "juices," most of what's in it is reconstituted apple and grape juices from concentrates. In this blend, they have also thrown in some reconstituted pear and pineapple juices.

What about peach? Well, it's in there somewhere. Peach puree is the third listed ingredient, and peach juice concentrate comes in at number seven. The "natural flavors" probably includes something that chemically mimics something in peaches, too.

If you understand that this is "peach flavored" apple and grape juice, not peach juice, and you're willing to accept it on those terms, be my guest. If you're expecting real peach juice, you'll be disappointed. Having learned my lesson before, I knew what to expect--and on those terms, I found it acceptable. Nothing to write home about, but nothing objectionable, either.

Will I buy it again? 

Probably not.




1 comment:

  1. Trader Joe's Dixie Peach Juice, though it's not really pure peach juice, is better than any juice, peach or otherwise, or nectar drink I've ever had, and especially if you mix some ice with it.

    I'm amazed anyone would say it's nothing to write home about,as I would write home about it, if I wasn't able to communicate any other way to family, and friends about this best juice I've ever consumed.

    BTW, I love peaches, and they used to be my favorite fruit back when I grew up in the 50's & 60's and you could find a sweet, juicy peach in produce section of grocery store, which is so hard to do these days, I gave up trying, and opt for frozen peaches in smoothies instead.

    ReplyDelete