Thursday, June 4, 2015

Trader Joe's Organic Soft Multigrain Bread



I'm tempted to start postulating the existence of a Trader Joe's Sweetification Committee, which operates in conjunction with the Blandification Committee to be sure that as many TJ's products as possible carry their two signature characteristics. I'm less sensitive to and bothered by the ubiquitous sweetness than Nina is, but I do still notice it--especially where one does not ordinarily expect to encounter sweetness, such as in sandwich bread. It's not quite as bad here as it was in the Organic Soft Wheat Bread, but it's still much more noticeable than necessary. I really don't understand why they do this.

The other problem here is in the commitment to being multigrain. You've got wheat flour, rye, yellow corn, barley, oats, flax seed, and millet. I'm not sure which of these is to blame, but there's a fair number of hard bits--insufficiently ground grain or seed, I presume--that don't yield easily to chewing. They feel almost like bits of stone, which is not pleasant to encounter in one's bread.

Will I buy it again? 

No. As the old saying has it, life is too short to put up with overly sweet, tooth-cracking bread. (What? That's not an old saying? Hmpf. Well, it should be.)



No comments:

Post a Comment