Sunday, June 26, 2016

Trader Joe's Fat Free Spicy Black Bean Dip



I actually bought this several weeks before the new Chipotle Black Bean Dip, reviewed yesterday, came along, but had not gotten around to trying it. After I found that new one so delectable, I of course pulled its older cousin off of my shelf and dug in, hoping that it would be as good.

And it is--almost. They are very similar. The textures are essentially identical. This one has more heat, as correctly indicated by the cute little pepper temperature gauges on the sides of the jars. But otherwise I'd be hard-pressed to tell them apart. They share approximately the same sweetness and the same degree of vinegar acidity.

I saw a rumor on Twitter that this has been discontinued. I have not investigated that, but it wouldn't surprise me. The two products may be too similar for TJ's to keep them both. That's why I'm pushing this review up in the queue, so that readers can, if they're so inclined, try to buy both and make the comparison themselves. Of course, such rumors about TJ's products often prove to be false, so maybe you'll have years to try both dips. I hope so. I like them both. But if I had to pick just one to keep around, it would be the new chipotle version.


Will I buy it again? 

Just on its own merits, yes. And I liked it enough that I would occasionally pick it over the newer chipotle dip, just for a little variety. But I fear that it won't be around long enough for me to have the choice.

4 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say I'm a huge fan. I found your blog about a month ago and immediately fell in love with your writing style. I went through the archives and read everything, laughing along the way. Now I peruse the aisles of TJ's with my fiancé and point out products saying, "that blog guy really liked that!" or "those are his favorite chips!" or "eh, he didn't really like those."

    Keep up the good work, I'll be reading. This is my favorite blog, and I hate blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I appreciate the kind words and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to TJ's last week, and this black bean dip was no more. All they had was the chipotle bean dip, which tastes very smoky and my kids won't eat. BOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must disagree with you. There is nothing like the classic. I think I'm mourning for it. RIP TJ's Classic Fat Free Spicy Black Bean Dip, you will be missed.

    ReplyDelete