Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Trader Joe's Julienned Root Vegetables



This is a brand-new Trader Joe's item. I hope it ends up selling well so they keep it around.

As you can see on the package, it's a frozen medley of carrots, beets, parsnips, and sweet potatoes, cut as if they were French fries. They're very tasty--mildly seasoned, without having been worked over too hard by the Trader Joe's Blandification Committee.

A word of caution, though: I think the baking instructions go too long. I followed the directions exactly the first time, and they were overcooked. I reduced the baking time by two minutes the second time, and they were still overdone, with a few burned ones. (It's not the fault of my oven; I have an oven thermometer that I check regularly, so I know its heat settings are accurate.) Also, even with a non-stick cookie sheet, the finished veggies were more adhered to the metal than I like, and it took a fair amount of scrubbing to clean it. The second time out, I used Pam, even though it seemed strange to do so on a non-stick surface. They all slid off cleanly and easily.

Will I buy it again? 

Yes. I wasn't such a big fan that I'm going to go on a rave here, or make it a permanently stocked item in my kitchen. But it makes an attractive, nutritious, easy-to-prepare side dish, so I'm confident it will feature in future dinner plans.


Nina's View

I like these, but I agree that the preparation instructions are probably not the best. I would preheat the cookie sheet in a hot oven (maybe 400ºF), toss the veggies with a very little bit of high-smoke-point oil (grapeseed is my go-to), and then cook them as briefly as possible 'til done.


It's a nice mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment