Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Trader Joe's Old-Fashioned Cinnamon Grahams



It's been many years since I bought graham crackers, but boy oh boy did I ever love them when I was growing up. So when I spotted this tub on the TJ's shelf, my reaction was a rush of ecstasy: nostalgia combined with my love of cinnamon. I anticipated an improvement on perfection.

I should have known: it's impossible to improve on perfection, by definition. I was underwhelmed by these cookies. The cinnamon was tepid, and seemed to conflict with the underlying graham, rather than enhance it. Overall I didn't mind them, but every single one that went in my mouth felt like a disappointment compared to what I thought this combination ought to be.

And one serious gripe: This tub was horrible to open. It wasn't just the first time, but every damn time! It took me probably eight or ten sittings to finish up the cookies, and I never got the lid off in less than a minute. It just doesn't budge. It's fundamentally different in design from the many superficially similar tubs I've had from TJ's before, with various cookies and candies in them. I can't remember any TJ's container that has proven so stubborn to open repeatedly. A pox on that.

Will I buy it again? 

Sadly, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment