Saturday, October 17, 2015

Trader Joe's Blueberries (fresh)



I've always been leery of Trader Joe's fresh produce. One of the most frequent gripes about TJ's that you see following the #TraderJoes hashtag on Twitter is people photographing the fruits and vegetables that rotted or went moldy much faster than one would reasonably expect--or, even worse, were that way in hidden areas as soon as they were unpacked and inspected at home. And my own rare experiences with the produce there have not been great.

However, the strawberries that I picked up last week were pretty good, so I decided to take a shot at some blueberries. Now, I have to wonder exactly where these came from, because the label says "Product of USA," but traditional blueberry season isn't until late summer. (I bought these and am writing this in May.) Maybe there are places, like in California, where they can grow blueberries in several crops per year. Or maybe they're grown in a greenhouse and somehow forced into season. I don't know.

Anyway, these were perfectly decent--not a badly shriveled, rotten, moldy, or sour one in the bunch. They were more tart than other blueberries I've had before. I don't know whether to attribute that to being out of season, the specific variety, or just random variation. It wasn't quite what I expected, but I didn't find it unpleasant.

Will I buy it again? 

Yes. I'm pleased to have had two consecutive good experiences with TJ's fresh fruit.

1 comment:

  1. I want to know who the growers are of these T.J’s blueberries.?? They are in their store but I hate that the label only states ( USA packed in Montrovia for Trader Joe’s).... I bought some yesterday.... How would we know should there be a recall???? As lots of fresh fruits and vegetables are recalled constantly.. recall in 10 states as of today regarding berries..... (06/17/21019)... anyone know?.

    ReplyDelete