Saturday, October 3, 2015

Trader Joe's Mildly Spiced Organic Vegetable Burritos



This is Day 7, the end of Mexican Week. 


I am once again confounded by the apparently inconsistent labeling of Trader Joe's products with the "V" vegan symbol. As you can see, the label explicitly claims this to be "dairy free," and it certainly has no meat in it. I have scoured the ingredients list and found nothing from animals or eggs. Yet it doesn't carry the "V," and TJ's does not include this item in their published list of vegan products. I'm stumped.

Anyway, I found this to be better than I had anticipated. A burrito with no cheese and no meat or meat substitute seemed, well, kind of an odd and dubious proposition. But a large part of the reason for this blog is to push myself to try things that I would otherwise shy away from, so into the basket the package went.

I'm glad for it. The burritos are quite tasty. They're as spicy as I would want them to be, despite the "mildly spiced" claim. You've got your green bell peppers, green chilies, cumin, jalapenos, cilantro, and oregano. The tomatoes and tomato sauce are by far the most prominent constituents here. The label claims that they have also included onions, potatoes, and broccoli, though I failed to detect any of them by sight or by taste.

Will I buy it again? 

Probably not, because there are other burritos I like better. But if I encountered these somewhere else, I'd be happy to have another.


Nina's View

All frozen burritos suffer from texture issues. The insides go to mush, the wrappers dry out or get gummy and tough. It's just not an ideal way to prepare this food.

In contrast to Bob, I did not care for these at all. The only thing distinguishable on the inside were corn kernels, everything else was a uniformly and spectacularly uninteresting paste. The sauce was entirely unremarkable.

We can do better, people.

1 comment:

  1. They changed these from how they used to be. They’d disappeared from the freezer for a few months and then returned, but are obviously now beig made by a different supplier. The inside used to be chunks of veggies, but now it’s mostly mushy beans. The tortilla also changed and was much softer than it had been while it was being heated. Very disappointed that they’ve ruined an item that I really liked.

    ReplyDelete