Monday, October 19, 2015

Trader Joe's Root Juice



This is the newest product from Trader Joe's. The company's description of it is here.

Let me introduce you to this juice the same way I first heard about it, which was via this tweet:


Then came this one:


And ya know what? They're right. It TASTES LIKE DIRT!

In case you're wondering, those three capitalized words do not constitute my highest recommendation for juice.

But it does have one redeeming virtue: It looks so much like human blood when sitting in a clear glass that you could used it as fake blood on Halloween.

Will I buy it again? 

Sure--as soon as "tastes like dirt" becomes a compliment.


Nina's View

The first sip of this is DEFINITELY earthy. Sips 2 to the end get more and more palatable. By the bottom of the glass I actually kind of liked it. The vampiric appearance contributes to the whole Halloween-y liquid-dirt experience. This is not something I see myself running out and buying regularly, but I can imagine one day waking up with a mysterious craving for it (and an aversion to garlic and sunshine).

It seems like exactly the sort of oddball concoction that could also be a pregnant woman's yen.

6 comments:

  1. Nina's View

    The first sip of this is DEFINITELY earthy. Sips 2->end get more and more palatable. By the bottom of the glass I actually kind of liked it. The vampiric appearance contributes to the whole Halloween-y liquid-dirt experience. This is not something I see myself running out and buying regularly, but I can imagine one day waking up with a mysterious craving for it (and an aversion to garlic and sunshine).

    It seems like exactly the sort of oddball concoction that could also be a pregnant woman's yen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just tasted this on my way to work... and you're right, it tastes exactly like dirt. I was so put off by the smell that I almost didn't even taste it - it smelled like mold you'd find growing on the underside of a river rock - and the taste was even worse... like licking the mud off a beet root immediately after it was pulled out of the ground. I actually gagged and couldn't get the horrible aftertaste out of my mouth for hours after one tiny sip. I can't believe this is sold for human consumption. I love vegetable and fruit juices - love carrot and beet, but this is the most vile substance I've ever tasted. I had to actually google it, which led me here, to see if other people had the same experience so I'd know that mine wasn't just bad... glad I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. It DOES taste like ... dirt. Ask yourself, however: Is your palate so accustomed to processed food that you wouldn't recognize truly natural flavors? Trader Joe's Beet Juice is natural. Prediction: If you stick with this product - even for a short while - you'll be hooked. The French call this tasting-like-dirt phenomenon, "goût de terroir." Literally - taste of the earth, and it's a subtlety they covet in everything that grows from the earth. It resonates with just the right strike-point on the palate. When it's exactly right, you'll know it.

      Delete
  3. I must be the odd one here. I juice my own veggies so I am use to not necessarily drinking things that tastes good in exchange for their health benefits.
    I bought 2 bottles to start. Then went to get 3 more. Then Bought 5 today for the week. When I have a busy week it's easier for me to buy this than make my own.
    So it's not the best tasting but whenever has juice with the word "root" been associated with "tasty"?
    I really dislike & can't stomach wheatgrass juice no matter how healthy they proclaim it, but others can stomach it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. same here best thing they ever ever ever sold. it taste like beet root numeric carrot and not like sugar. that is why it taste like dirt an only cost 1.99. its not supposed to be sweet. its got turmeric and lemon..

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hate beets and yet i love this. too bad they don't carry it anymore. wah wah!!

    ReplyDelete